I used to LOVE burning candles. Fireside S’more? Yep! BeachSide Vacation? Had it! Warm Christmas Cookie? I’ll take 5! I was always hitting up store after store and picking up candles constantly, can you say candle hoarder? I was obsessed you guys! If you came in my house, chances are there was a candle burning, plug-ins located in every room, and I probably just spritzed some artificial fragrance filled room spray in the air. I was all about everything smelling good, my laundry, my home, I even doused myself in some high dollar fragrance filled perfume before going anywhere. I was a little out of control with my candle addiction and the need for everything to have a certain “smell.”
Fast forward to February 2014, when we found out we were expecting our first bundle of joy. We were so excited, this was such a precious and joyful time and we couldn’t wait for him to get here. But, that’s when we really started to open our eyes to what we were putting in and on our bodies, and allowing inside the walls of our home. Babies change everything, right? We began researching these daily “necessities” and found article after article, study after study, testimony after testimony about artificial fragrances causing so many health issues and even the startling fact that burning a candle (other than soy or beeswax) in your home for one hour is equivalent to smoking a cigarette. That little word…“fragrance,” is allowed to be slapped on basically every label and is a blanket term for nearly 300+ chemicals. Chemicals that are illegal and banned in other countries, but yet here they are in our candles, shampoo, lotion, and yes even baby wash. We are all just trying to live our best life every single day not even realizing that we are poisoning ourselves and our families. These toxin filled products are absorbed into our bodies and bloodstreams, and may come out in the form of a headache, fatigue, sleep issues, inability to focus and more. We finally stood our ground and said, “NO MORE!” We became so much more aware of what we allowed into our home and into this new, precious little life. We decided to change our lives for a more clean environment with the use of essential oils and haven’t looked back since. It was by far one of the best decisions we could have ever made.
Essential oils are made from pure plants. They are basically the immune system of the plant and act the same way in our bodies. When you diffuse pure, therapeutic grade essential oils, you aren’t filling the air in your home with artificial fragrance, you are filling it with 100% pure plant matter. But, let’s get one thing straight, not all oils are created equal. I chose Young Living essential oils for several different reasons. One of which is that they own their own farms all over the world. They have a very open door policy in the sense that they let you actually go and visit at anytime to see the whole process. I’ve actually been to the Lavender farm in Mona, Utah and got to see everything first hand, it was an incredible experience. They also have a very rigorous testing process and the only company to have the “Seed to Seal” standard, which is so important. Not only does Young Living have the best essential oils on the planet, they also have oil infused products like make up, baby wipes, laundry detergent, personal care products, supplements and so much more. Having all these plant based and natural products in one place makes my shopping experience so much more easy and convenient, which for all my other mama bears out there, convenience is key!
WE USE OUR OILS FOR SO MANY THINGS, BUT I WANTED TO GIVE YOU MY TOP 10 WAYS I USE ESSENTIAL OILS:
1. SCENTING OUR HOME. I love that I can diffuse Stress Away, and it instantly takes me to the beach! With hints of lime and vanilla, it helps everyone calm down.
2. CHEST RUB. I love using RC (respirtory comfort) as an all natural chest rub. I simply take a tablespoon of coconut oil with a couple drops of this oil and we are all breathing easy!
3. WATER ENHANCER. Young Living is the only company that has a whole line of essential oils specifically labeled for dietary usage. I love adding a drop of Lemon Vitality to my water or wellness tea. It gives it such a fresh taste and hello detox.
4. MUSCLE RUB. PanAway has hints of Wintergreen and Peppermint which makes it tingly and cooling at the same time. This is my go to for after work outs, carrying my toddler around all day, or if we’ve been out gardening. I love mixing it with coconut oil to make the best muscle rub ever.
5. SLEEP SUPPORT. Sometimes I find it a little hard to wind down in the evenings, but with Lavender by my side, all is right in the world. My room smells like a spa and I am sent off to “lavender land.”
6. TUMMY SUPPORT. You guys don’t get me wrong, I love a good Taco Tuesday, but queso, you do me wrong sometimes. Insert DiGize. This gem helps with all of the stomach things…I’ll just leave it at that.
7. IMMUNE BOOSTING. So thankful that I cleaned out my medicine cabinet and have a whole squad of wellness enhancers. From colloidal silver, to elderberry, to my Thieves essential oil, we are over here staying above the wellness line and staying healthy.
8. BREATH SPRAY. I use to be a major gum chewer until I discovered how to make my very own breath spray with oils. I use 8 drops of Peppermint Vitality mixed with some of the Thieves mouthwash in a spritz bottle and there you have it, no more coffee breath!
9. ODOR ELIMINATOR. One of the main reasons I had so many scented candles and plug-ins was to keep odors at bay. Certain foods we cooked seemed to linger, dirty diapers, stinky trash, no thanks! Enter Purification essential oil also known as odor be gone. A couple drops of this guy on cotton balls around the house and your home will be smelling so fresh and so clean.
10. PERFUME. I missed so badly not being able to smell like my favorite (at the time) fragrance. Now, I simply customize scents to create my very own scent. I love the earthy, grounding smell of Frankincense mixed with the fresh, floral scent of Lavender, add a splash of pure vanilla extract and mix with witch hazel, and there you have it, your very own safe, delicious smelling perfume.
Making the switch to essential oils and ditching toxin laden, hormone disrupting, chemicals doesn’t have to be complicated or confusing. You don’t have to start out with a huge collection and feel like you need to be a brilliant aromatherapist. Just get a couple of the “basic” oils, a diffuser, and you’re set. I am also here to help you along the way, teach you, share with you, and encourage you. If you’re ready to take the leap, just follow these steps:
- Go to bit.ly/rosegoldwellness
- Select MEMBER
- Pick your diffuser
- Add in anything extra you have your eye on
- Put in your info and check out!
If you are curious to learn more I am constantly educating others via live Facebook events or in person coffee meet ups. Shoot me a DM on my wellness IG account (@rosegoldwellness) or email me here and we can connect! Cheers to learning + living better!